Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:34:39 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
Subject:   Re: my first coaster with cdrecord/FreeBSD :-(

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:50:06 +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 13-Nov-00 Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > > Starting new track at sector: 160305
> > > Track 08:  22 of  53 MB written (fifo 100%).cdrecord: Input/output error.
> > > write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retry
> > > able error
> > > CDB:  2A 00 00 02 98 E6 00 00 1B 00
> > > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> > > Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 02 99 7C 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 07 00 00 00 00
> > > Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> > > Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x07 (write error - recovery needed) Fru 0x0
> > > Sense flags: Blk 170364 (valid)
> >  This looks like a bad block on the CD.  Thus the reason it worked when you
> >  tried again with a new CD.  (Which is probably the right approach to take
> >  to fix the problem.)
>
> Which black book do you get that from? 8-)
>
> Seriously is there a place you can look this stuff up, or is it vendor specific?

Well, I didn't really need to look it up anywhere, since cdrecord already
printed the sense key, and the interpretation of the ASC and ASCQ.

The sense key is "Medium Error", and the ASC/ASCQ translates to "write
error - recovery needed".

Presumably cdrecord would have recovered if that were possible.

I also looked it up in sys/cam/scsi/scsi_all.c in the sense code table to
make sure the error message was the same.

Also, if you go to www.t10.org, the SCSI specs are available there.
(Draft specs, but generally the final draft is very close to the actual
published spec.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry