Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 13:25:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Duane R. Ellison" <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
To:        "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pppd not dying

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Michael C. Newell wrote:

> We have the same problem, except in our case it's not releasing the line
> so we can't establish a new connection.  When my line drops I have to
> dial a terminal server, log in, telnet to the FreeBSD server, kill the
> PPP daemon (as noted, a new one gets created...), log out, then redial
> our server.

I was having that same problem.  I fixed that by taking the passive out
of the /etc/ppp/options.  It looks as if the process (when the connection
dies) is just waiting for it to start again and never ends.  By taking
the passive out at lease the line is available for another connection.

Someone has to have a fix for this out there...

	--- Duane
       Duane Ellison                         duane@gargamel.ptw.com
                                         http://gargamel.ptw.com/~duane