Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:04:36 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        louie@transsys.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to disable software TCP checksumming?

In a message dated 06/05/2001 10:25:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
louie@TransSys.COM writes:

> Suspect hardware problem?  Of course you should!  That's why memory
>  systems have parity or ECC, and I/O buses are similarlly protected.  At
>  least on real computers.

Your view of the world is a bit misguided.

I know of a situation a few years back where cascade switches were doing ATM
to Frame Relay conversion and sending out mal-formed packets due to a bug in
their reassembly procedure. Cisco routers (which pass data without
checksuming and dont checksum pings) never saw a problem, but our unix boxes
were complaining regularly. A similar situation occurred with cheap ethernet
bridges that a service provider was using to colocate to a building across
the street to uunet  truncated packets with volumes over 2mb/s.

Checksumming is there for a reason. You premise that "just because there are
no physical errors, the data must be good" is simply defective.

Bryan