Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:39:08 -0700
From:      John W <jwdevel@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compose key oddity

Hello,

I'm just learning about the great thing that is the compose key.
For the most part things work fine, but I can't compose the 'ellipsis'
character, for some reason.
Everything looks set up correctly, so I'm curious if someone has tips
on tracking down this particular issue.

Here's what I did:

I added this to my .xinitrc:

    setxkbmap -option compose:lwin -option compose:rwin

And indeed, I can use the windows keys to compose accented characters, etc.

ABOVE" character (U+02D9). Looks like: =CB=99

Now, when I look inside /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose,
the relevant lines are:

    <dead_abovedot> <space>                 : "=CB=99"   abovedot # DOT ABO=
VE
    <dead_abovedot> <dead_abovedot>         : "=CB=99"   abovedot # DOT ABO=
VE
    # (snip)
    <Multi_key> <period> <period>           : "=E2=80=A6"   ellipsis #
HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS

And so this is where I am stumped.
That last line would indicate to me that I should be able to make an
ellipsis with, for instance, rwin+period+period.
Yet instead, I get DOT ABOVE.

My LANG is en_US.UTF-8, so I think I'm looking in the right file.
I don't understand how dead keys are set up, so I don't know if those
other lines are having some effect.

Is there some other configuration file(s) that are influencing things?

This is FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE, with Xorg 7.4.2; X.Org X Server 1.6.1, in
case that matters.

Thanks for any help
-John