Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2012 23:22:29 -0400
From:      Patrick Donnelly <pjd@batbytes.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   power failure, boot, and fsck

Hi,

After a power failure at home, my FreeBSD server automatically starts
again but fails to mount my UFS /boot disk because it was not properly
unmounted. Here is my fstab:

$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device         Mountpoint     FStype     Options     Dump     Pass#
/dev/da0s1a      /boot-disk     ufs        rw          0        0

I'm using ZFS root with a USB UFS boot device. Anyway, I get an error
that looks like (copied from another thread; devices and mount points
don't match):

UFS: /dev/ad10s3f (/usr)
Automatic file system check failed, help!
error aborting boo (sending sigtem to parent)!
init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode.
enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

In single-user mode I just `fsck /dev/da0s1a` and reboot. That fixes
the problem. However, I would like this to be automatic on boot. It
would be annoying if I'm out-of-town and the server cannot recover
without my help. Any tips?

--
Patrick Donnelly