Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 18:49:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aborted commands

In article <19980515191832.A2506@mu.org> you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I have been having problems with my scsi bus resetting
> and aborting commands.  I have 2 DACS-34330W drives connected
> internally anda tape connected externally to a 2940UW.
>
> The error I got today was this:
> May 15 19:01:37 elvis /kernel: sd3(ahc1:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND
> asc:1b,0 Synchronous data transfer error
> May 15 19:01:37 elvis /kernel: , retries:4

This usually means that the req/ack offset was overflowed.  This
typically happens due to noise on the req/ack line causing either
the initiator or target to believe that a byte was acked when it
wasn't.

> It the disk dying or do I need to look closely at cable length and
> termination?  I have checked termination over and over and it it
> correct.  On the controller I have the bios set for termination
> automatic if that helps in tracking the problem down.

It may be that the automatic termination code is not working properly.
Try using a manual termination setting.

--
Justin