Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:47:00 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Jail <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X.org in a jail, testers wanted

Quoting Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> (from Tue, 11 Mar 2008 =20
22:02:16 +0100):

> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:28:29PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>  at http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/jail.diff I have som=
>>  changes which should apply to RELENG_7(_0) and HEAD which allow access t=
>>  /dev/io (if configured appropriately, see the included man-page change).
>>  This is needed to run a X server in a jail. You may also need to load
>>  manually (or via the loader) the kernel module which is normally loaded =
by
>   the X server (in my case (a Radeon card) this means to have
>>  radeon_load=3D"YES" in loader.conf). AFAIR the X server works without th=
is,
>>  but probably without some acceleration. I haven't tested any 3D stuff.
>
> Thank you very much for providing your work in this area.  I would
> really like to test your patch, but I currently have very little spare
> time left by my job.  So I will only cheer you up :).

Thanks. :)

>>  You also need to setup /etc/devfs.rules (this is a copy of my one, it
>>  contains more than is needed to run the X server, so you can trim this i=
>>  you want):
>>  ---snip---
>> [...]
>>  ---snip---
>>
>>  You also need to make sure those rules are applied to your jail
>>  (jail_<jailname>_devfs_ruleset=3D"devfsrules_jail_desktop").
>
> Do you plan to document this else where, maybe in the jail chapter of
> the handbook?  Otherwise I will merely bookmark your mail.

What you need or not depends upon your usage scenario. I don't think =20
this belongs into the man page. If I document this in the handbook or =20
not, I haven't thought about (somehow I think I will not have the time =20
to do it). If someone takes my mail (after the code is committed), =20
adds some sentences and wants to commit this into the handbook, I =20
happily review the text.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20