Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:05:59 -0500
From:      Sean Welch <Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org>
To:        "Ian F. Brunell" <ian.brunell@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Tecra 8000, Lucent Modem, FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE, and ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz

Hi, Ian!

I run a Dell Inspiron 8000 so I don't think the bios rev is going to
help you much.  ;-)

I'm able to get my modem to work with a fresh install and a GENERIC
kernel.

I saw that this fellow had responded to you and it seems he has more
apropos info:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=125345+0+archive/2004/freebsd-mobile/20040425.freebsd-mobile

This indicates that your hardware setup is somewhat unique and the
port will not work without some modification.

By comparison, my modem shows up on the PCI bus.

Just for clarification, it is perfectly possible to load kernel
modules that don't have anything to do with your system
hardware/setup and thus don't do anything.

Good luck -- I hope you can get it working soon!

Sean