Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 21:37:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: proposed change to samba port

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> I think that /usr/local/samba should die.  It's the odd-man out here.
> I agree with Paul.

Concerning samba I disagree. I still would like to have
/usr/local/samba to see every related program...

Maybe it's because my bonehead is used the Solaris 2.x idea
of packaging system add on packages in /opt/SUNWxxxx/{bin,lib,man}

It's a great advantage to have an own directory hierarchie for
a package, if it's new for you or if you want to see very quickly,
what stuff belongs to the package. Another advantage is, that
you have the manpages in one place.

I really would like packages being installed like in the ports
hierarchie on the CD-ROM...

For example:

	/usr/local/www/cached-1.4/{bin,lib,man/man[12345678n]}
	/usr/local/sysutils/top-3.3/{bin,lib,man/man[12345678n]}

I'd then make symlinks to /usr/local/{bin,man/man...},...

It's a nice cleaver idea _not_ to have a monster /usr/local/bin
with lot's of utilities.
In the past I have seen many utilities in /usr/local/bin, for
which no manpages are available.
It's not so nice to have such <zombie> utilities in /usr/local/bin...

It's really much more comfortable to have separate directory
structures for your packages. You should relax, try it and
make your own experiences, it's worth !

BTW: ls /usr/local/bin | wc -l 415
	-> awful, 415 utilities in /usr/local/bin ...

     ls /usr/local/man/man1 | wc -l 335
	-> and only 335 manual pages available ....

It's in my opineon much more complicated, if you have to dig around
in /var/db/pkg, to search, to what package an utility belongs...

You have better overview over the contents of a package, when
not putting everything into /usr/local/bin.

I vote for a redesign of FreeBSD-ports and to leave samba
port as it is.

Und jetzt schnell in Deckung gehen .... ;-)))

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -