Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:31:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   minor suggestion for 2.2 boot/fixit.flp

As the subject says, I have a minor suggestion for the 2.2 boot/fixit
floppies -- It would be really nice to have the block and character
devices files for the at least the partitions in the second slice of
sd0 & wd0 in /dev on the boot floppy (and maybe sd1 & wd1, and all 4
slices on each disk if there is room).

In the last six months or so, I've had to recover two disks on dual
boot machines from catastrophic failures.  In both cases (hardware
failure & a filesystem eaten by a client mounting an msdosfs rw
against my advice) I've managed to recover most of the data off the
disks since only the root partition was trashed.  But when booting
from boot.flp, I've had to manually mknod the device files I've
needed, which is a bit of a pain. Not to mention that it might be a
showstopper for somebody who didn't have another machine to check for
the major/minor numbers and/or who was clueless enough not to know how
to make device files.

Thanks,

Drew
Andrew Gallatin
Duke University				Internet:	gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science		Phone:		(919) 660-6590