Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:33:11 -0800
From:      Darren Shepard <dss@orst.edu>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port upgrade method question

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:07:40AM -0500,
   John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com> writes:

| I've CVSup'd my system and my ports tree (ports-all). Now I'm using
|
| # pkg_version -v
|
| to see which installed ports have an upgrade available. Working with this
| info, I go into each port I wish to upgrade and
|
| # portupgrade -R port-name
|
| I can't do a
|
| # portupgrade -aR
|
| as I can't leave Thinkpad up and running in one place long enough to build
| all of them.
|
| I'm iteratively using the steps above to upgrade my ports tree. Is there a
| better/different way? Am I skipping any steps? Since I'm upgrading one
| port at a time, do I need to run portsdb? Also, I see references in the
| archives to

FWIW, I do something like the following:

  1. `portversion -l '<' -c > /tmp/portup.sh'
  2. edit /tmp/portup.sh to taste
  3. `/bin/sh /tmp/portup.sh'

| # cd /usr/ports
| # make index
|
| Do I need to do this? Everything seems to be working well, I'm just
| wondering if my method is proper.
|
| Thanks - JB

I think portsdb(1) answers your INDEX questions:

 The portsdb command is a tool to generates the ports database named
 INDEX.db from the ports index file named INDEX.  It is commonly used
 among the tool suite and automatically updated on demand when it gets
 older than the index file.  To save time, you can update it beforehand,
 like right after the index file is updated.  In addition, considering
 that the INDEX file often gets outdated because it is updated only once
 a week or so in the official ports tree, it is recommended that you run
 ``portsdb -Uu'' after every CVSup of the ports tree in order to keep
 them always up-to-date and in sync with the ports tree.

--
yours in haste, |   http://darren.shepard.org/pubkey.txt
Darren Shepard  | 96D1FB7946171A06BA508FD8E16D6F5F31F0A7D2