Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:38:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Satya Devireddy <satya@dspsoft.com>
To:        John Johnson <icjohnson@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring XFree86

> I've asked this question previously, so please bear with me as I've still
> not found an answer, but I'm trying to configure Xfree86 to display a
> resolution greater than 320x200. I've installed FreeBSD on a Dell Inspiron
> 3200 with a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD video adapter. Copied below is the
> complete output of "startx > startx.out 2>&1".

> (--) SVGA: PCI: Unknown vendor (0x10c8) Unknown chipset (0x0004) rev 1,
> Memory @ 0xfd000000, 0xfea00000

Looks like XFree86 is unable to determine your video card as it does
not seem to be currently supported....

http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/index.html#SectionF

Q.F10- NeoMagic chips

Boards based on NeoMagic chips are not supported in XFree86, as
programming documentation is not available. For users of Linux
based machines, Red Hat has made a binary only server XBF_NeoMagic
available at their ftp server. Check their ftp server for
details.

The source code to this server has been donated to XFree86 and will be
included in the next release.