Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:36:41 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributing binary ksh93

parv <parv_@yahoo.com> wrote:

> it would have been nice if the license tell-n-show process actually had
> used the pkg-message before extracting & fetching the sources. as
> it is now, license is extracted from the sources and/or is shown after
> extracting the sources...

The text in pkg-message is the "Proprietary Notice".  It is not the
license.  Those are entirely different things.

> ===>  Building for ksh93-20010704.0000
> -pipe: not found
> package: /source/ports/shells/ksh93/work/lib/package/LICENSES/ast:
> license has not been accepted yet
>
> Enter y to accept, p to print, n to reject, anything else to quit:

That is straight from AT&T so I presume it is okay.

> okay... i found that there is no package for this port;

My understanding of the license is this:

- We are not allowed to redistribute the distfile without the
  recipient agreeing to the license prior to receiving the distfile.

  => Since we can't force such a prior agreement through our
  distribution channels (FTP, CDROM), we are effectively forbidden
  from redistributing the distfile.

- We are allowed to distribute a compiled package as long as it
  conspicuously displays the Proprietary Notice.

  => The package which has the Proprietary Notice in pkg-message
  could be distributed by FTP/CDROM.

Unfortunately the FreeBSD ports framework only provides the options
NO_CDROM, NO_PACKAGE, and RESTRICTED, none of which offers an exact
match for this type of restriction:

              | package   | package   | distfile  | distfile
              | by CDROM  | by FTP    | by CDROM  | by FTP
--------------+-----------+-----------+-----------+----------
NO_CDROM      |    no     |    yes    |    yes    |   yes
NO_PACKAGE    |    no     |    no     |    yes    |   yes
RESTRICTED    |    no     |    no     |    no     |   no
AST license   |    yes    |    yes    |    no     |   no

In order to keep the distfiles off the FTP server and CDROM, I must
specify RESTRICTED, which also denies the package, although we could
distribute that one.

(FWIW, OpenBSD has explicit PERMIT_{PACKAGE,DISTFILES}_{CDROM,FTP}
variables that allow fine-grained control of this.)