Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 1995 10:41:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      bob@obiwan.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, kargl@crosby.apl.washington.edu, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 0412-SNAP is FUBAR

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > > When is the scsi version of the slice code scheduled for prime time use?
> >
> > The minute you see the commit messages go into sysinstall saying
> > "make this utility understand slices" :-)
> >

> More like, "you can grab the sd.c and wd.c from current and recompile
> your kernel".
>
> Sysinstall is only a tool for loading FreeBSD onto the disk, the kernel
> is all fine and ready to use slices.
>
> Problem is, until we fix sysinstall, we cannot use the "new" sd.c and wd.c
> on the distribution  :-(

What version of the aic7xxx device driver is on the 412 snap?  I have
found that I can't use my AHA-2740A SCSI adapter on this snap, though
-current is working ok.  If I attempt to install with this adapter
I get a panic.  I went ahead and installed with my BusLogic BT-747S
adapter without problems but when I switch to the Adaptec I also get
a similar (I didn't take notes of the install panic, sorry) panic:

fault virtual address	= 0xf06539fa
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf019cb1d
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= Idle
interrupt mask		= net tty
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

fault virtual address	= 0x1b
fault code		= 0x8:0xf01215eb
code segment		= base -x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			  DBL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= Idle
interrupt mask		= net tty bio
panic: page fault

This occurs following the ed1: .... multi-line stuff on the console.
Note that fsck's have been done by this time so the adapter and
drive (its a Micropolis 2217) seem to be working fine.

One last thing.  With both the Adaptec and BusLogic adapters in
the machine (this is how I run it under -current) the floppy disk
boot sequence hangs right after the warning about there being no
swap space.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@obiwan.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)