Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:46:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        dcarmich@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for the PowerMac?

> Hmmm, we have netbsd/ppc, linux/ppc, and I assume openbsd/ppp. What
> does freebsd add?

A unified VM with page coloring.  Working install tools.  Productization
that the other camps ignore for lack of man-power.

> esp. when the last power-pc-based computers have been designed?

Your opinion.  I don't think IBM can dump it's server line that
quickly, and Motorola is still building PowerStack systems, FirePower
is still building their boxes, etc..

> ( the next generation of ppc will be in your car's engine, not on
> your desk. Thank You Know Who for that one).

Thanks, Ford!

> You're not losing much by optimizing for the pentium. At the rate
> we're going, it's the only architecture out there (anyone see that
> the Alpha is probably dead?)

Do you think we would be working on such a vainglorious thing as a
free UNIX clone if we were happy with "at the rate we're going"?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.