Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:29:29 -0700
From:      "Craig Critchley" <cac@fuzzer.com>
To:        "Igor Roshchin" <str@giganda.komkon.org>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named -- unapproved update (?)

If it is indeed Windows 2000 machine with Active Directory Service stuff
going on it, it is trying to do a dynamic DNS update.

Basically it wants to add its name and IP to the zone its configured to be
in.  ADS will do this to any DNS it is configured to query, and it won't
give up.  This is a Microsoft misfeature.  It can be turned off by a
registry entry, but there is no UI for it - look in MS's knowledge base (I'm
sorry that I don't ahve the details immediately available.)  Or have them
get rid of ADS entirely.

How exactly it found your machine to update is not clear to me.  Perhaps it
is broadcasting to the subnet.  I don't pretend to understand Active
Directory Service, all I've done is turn it off once or twice.

                    ...Craig