Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 21:09:36 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login as root?

At 02:08 AM 10/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>hi im trying to setup my FREEBSD 2.2.7 its all in my hard drive now im
>just trying to configure everything. I have a problem with trying to
>login as root.

Forget about adding yourself to the wheel group for now.  When you boot the
machine up and it brings up the login prompt, login as root instead of the
normal user.. i.e.:

login: root
password: ******

If you have actually set a root password, use that for the password.  If
you haven't, just hit enter without typing in a password and that'll log
you in.

Once you get logged in, type whoami at the prompt.  It should say root.
Then you can add yourself to the wheel group.  To do it, you'll need to
know how to use a text editor.  Read the man page for vi (man vi) for the
commands used with vi.  It'd be a good idea to open them on a separate
virtual terminal so you can read it while you're using it.

To add yourself to the wheel group, do the following at the prompt..

cd /etc
vi group

When the file opens add yourself to the group line behind root..

wheel:*:0:root,your_user_id

Save the file and log in as yourself and at the prompt type su and it'll
ask for a password.  Type in the root password and you're done.

If you're not sure it worked, use the whoami command and if you're root,
it'll tell you.  If it shows your user id, then it didn't work.

Hope this helps..

Jim

|=> Jim Mock [jim@thunder.st0rm.com] [jim@phrantic.phear.net]	<=|
|=> st0rm Internet Services | web: http://www.st0rm.com/	<=|
|=> Website Design & Hosting | Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	<=|