Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:29:11 +0000
From:      Simon Reading <aat81@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Symbios (NCR) '875 SCSI card question...

At 00:16 25/01/97 -0800, you wrote:

>This PCI card has 3 connectors - or which any 2 may be used at
>the same time.
>I connected a WIDE drive to one internal connector, and a chain
>of narrow drives to the external WIDE connector (using a wide to
>narrow adaptor cable).
>With both sets of drives connected, the board cannot probe out any
>drives. If I disconnect either the internal WIDE drive or the external
>narrow drives, the card will probe out the remaining drives that are
>connected.
>Has anyone else seen this behavoir?
A friend of mine had a dell PC come with an NCR scsi card (can't remember
which one).  He needed to connect to external and internal harddrives.  He
was using DOS and Windows (fear and loathing) and he got intermittent read
and write errors with both drives connected.  With either disconnected it
was fine.  Both devices were properly terminated.  Then in the dell manual
in the small print it said 'you cannot connect internal and external drives
at the same time'.  Incredible?!
He got around this problem by installing an additional scsi card.

Regards

Simon