Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:17:44 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vince Hoffman <Vince.Hoffman@uk.circle.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installing on an IBM 770x

> From: Vince Hoffman <Vince.Hoffman@uk.circle.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:58:18 -0000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong place for this and feel free to redirect
> me if it is.
> I've been attempting to install 5.0-RELEASE on an IBM 770x laptop and
> not having much luck. Using the kernel and mfsroot floppys my xircom
> card (Realport card and modem (rem56G-100)) is not detected, and trying
> to boot from the mini ISO hangs, my final try was to copy the mini ISO
> to a fat16 partion as per the FAQ, but sysinstall from the floppys says
> it cant find anything useful there. I'm pretty sure its not hardware as
> I have a slackware linux partion which boots and runs fine.
> any hints or suggestions gratefully recieved.

If you are not doing so, enable APM and turn off ACPI when booting.  I
have not seen a ThinkPad that does not cause significant ACPI problems,
although some recent BIOS updates are much better.

Hit a space during the boot count-down and enter "unset acpi_load".
(Don't worry about APM for the install.) This should result in the
Xircom being seen.

> ps. i'm going to try 4.7-RELEASE tonight. wish me luck

Try 4.8-RC (RELENG_4). It should handle the 770X pretty well. More
stable that any 4.7 release in my experience. Should be 4.8-RELEASE next
week.

BTW--I have only a 600E and not a 770X running CURRENT and an RE-100
Ethernet card (no modem), so my experience may not entirely match yours.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)