Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "TheGlenMann" <cumquott@suscom.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ping to broadcast ok from subnet, not ok otherwise

Hi all-

(Is this list working right? - I'm getting lots of wierd stuff in the
digests...but anyway...)

Other attempts to find the answer to this have failed, hopefully this
isn't too off-topic.

We have several subnets connected via Frame Relay. Call them 10.10.1,
10.10.2, 10.10.3, etc. On each, the gateway is the 254 address, e.g.,
10.10.1.254.

Sitting at a 10.10.1.n machine, I can ping the gateway 10.10.x.254 on
every subnet. However, a ping to the broadcast address as
  ping -c1 10.10.x.255
fails on some of the subnets (from outside that subnet). From within the
subnet, the ping to the broadcast succeeds everywhere. Pings to known
hosts (and 10.10.x.254) succeed always from everywhere.

So, my question is, why would I be able to successfully ping to the
broadcast address from within a subnet but not from outside the subnet,
but only in certain cases? We have a mix of windows, FreeBSD, router, and
other machines on each subnet. (I'm led to ask all this since where the
broadcast doesn't work from outside the subnet, neither does DHCP, which
is proving to be a real problem!)

Thanks
-Glen Mann

--
"I may not have had enough of me, but I've had enough of you."
Robert Fripp, Exposure