Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:32:52 -0500
From:      chris@tourneyland.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reverse DNS question

Hi,

I've been reading a little about DNS, inlcuding about the responsibility a
DNS server it has for reverse DNS. For example, if I own the Class C
111.72.34.* (which I don't), I'm responsible for the 111.72.34.IN-ADDR.ARPA
zone.

Here's my problem: I have 5 static IP addresses, that my ISP leases me
along with my ADSL line. So, who's in charge of reverse DNS for those 5
addreses? Unless I'm mistaken, the granularity of reverse DNS isn't such
that I can handle just my 5, and the ISP does the rest. Instead, I assume
that my ISP is responsible for reverse DNS on those 5, so it's up to me to
tell them what maps to what. This would also imply that I don't do any
reverse DNS at all (I'm not sure what this would mean for local reverse DNS
stuff, except that maybe it just gets forwarded like any other unknown DNS
request).

Is this correct?

 - Chris