Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:14:12 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        Sasa Stupar <sasa@stupar.homelinux.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE - how to?

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 07:30, Sasa Stupar wrote:
> --On 21. december 2005 19:43 +0100 Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl> wrote:
>
> > Sasa Stupar wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I have been searching and trying to build a FreeBSD with KDE desktop
> >> but I have not luck. The X starts but only the xdm.
> >> Is there some nice step by step guide for it? Don't tell me for
> >> handbook since I have tried to do it without success.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >
> > Open /etc/ttys with your favourite editor and search for this line:
> >
> > ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
> >
> > Change this into:
> >
> > ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/kdm"  xterm   on secure
> >
> > And voila, KDM will start at boot.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jorn
>
> OK. KDE is starting on boot but it won't let me to log in as root nor I
> can't su after I have logged in as normal user.
> And another thing: I have configure X with "xorgcfg -textmode" and I have
> specified my card, monitor, resolution. Hence, after the log into my
> account I have 640*480 only resolution. I have tried to change in
> preferences>peripheral>display but I have only one choose 640*480.
> What am I missing here?

Sasa,

Setting up X-Windows with XDM and KDE is covered in detail in the
manual. You really should read it as unlike Windows or some flavors of
Linux you will not get far. You could have found the answers to the
questions you have asked in the manual, including this.

The section is:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

KDE is generic and does not always sit well with FreeBSD which is better
run from the command line as it is more suited to server applications
which can do without the overhead of the GUI.

BTW I have found that the easiest way of setting the screen resolution
is to delete the unused settings so hat the scree section only has one
in it.

Rob