Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2011 18:00:19 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: everlasting log device

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 12:22:01AM +0300, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> When I get my hands on SSD device I tried to setup a log/cache partition
> for my pools. Everything works fine until one day I realized that I have
> a better place to stick this SSD in. I have upgraded system from
> RELENG_8_2 to RELENG_8 and tried to remove devices. From my two pools
> one was successfully freed from log/cache devices yet another one
> refuses to live without log device:
>
> # zpool upgrade
> This system is currently running ZFS pool version 28.
>
> All pools are formatted using this version.
>
> # zfs upgrade
> This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 5.
>
> All filesystems are formatted with the current version.
>
> # zpool status
>    pool: utwig
>   state: DEGRADED
> status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas
> exist for
>          the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
> action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
>     see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
>   scan: resilvered 0 in 0h21m with 0 errors on Sat Jul  2 15:07:35 2011
> config:
>
>          NAME                                            STATE     READ
> WRITE CKSUM
>          utwig                                           DEGRADED     0
>      0     0
>            mirror-0                                      ONLINE       0
>      0     0
>              gptid/ecb17af1-9119-11df-bb0b-00304f4e6d80  ONLINE       0
>      0     0
>              gptid/03aed1f5-95a3-11df-bb0b-00304f4e6d80  ONLINE       0
>      0     0
>          logs
>            gptid/231b9002-a4a5-11e0-a114-3f386a87752c    UNAVAIL      0
>      0     0  cannot open
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
>    pool: utwig-sas
>   state: ONLINE
>   scan: none requested
> config:
>
>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>          utwig-sas   ONLINE       0     0     0
>            mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              aacd1   ONLINE       0     0     0
>              aacd2   ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> # zpool remove utwig gptid/231b9002-a4a5-11e0-a114-3f386a87752c && echo good
> good
>
> And nothing changes - system needs that partition.
>
> One more weird thing.
>
> # zpool iostat -v utwig
>                                             capacity     operations
> bandwidth
> pool                                    alloc   free   read  write
> read  write
> --------------------------------------  -----  -----  -----  -----
> -----  -----
> utwig                                    284G   172G     41     70
> 272K   793K
>    mirror                                 284G   172G     41     70
> [...]

If you have the possibility to re-create the pool then Id definately
suggest it.

If you remove this device (physically) your pool will not be operable
unfortunately there is still somehting missing to allow SLOGs to be
removed from a running pool yet, what that might be is beyond me at this
time. You might try to export the pool then boot into single user mode
and reimport the pool and try the removal procedure but I raelly dont
think that will help you.

Good luck.