Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:04:12 +0000
From:      "Happy Clown" <h4ppycl0wn@hotmail.com>
To:        shantanoo+fbsd@ieee.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make iso.1 bootable image problem

>+++ Happy Clown [freebsd] [24/12/02 00:33 +0000]:
>| Then
>|      > chroot /usr/release
>|      > cd /usr/src/release
>|      > make iso.1
>|
>| This also went through ok.
>|
>| My problem is... the ISO images created don't appear to be bootable. At
>| least they're not recognised as such by the burning software I'm using
>| (Nero... OK, I'm burning them on a windows machine :-/ that's where the
>| burner is).
>|
>| Am I missing any options with the make iso.1 command or any other steps
>| make these ISO images bootable? Any helpful suggestions from anyone?
>|

>	What do you mean by "don't appear to be bootable"?
>Did you burn it and then found out that its not bootable?
>After going through /usr/src/release/Makefile, I realize
>that the image created is bootable. Why don't you burn it
>and test?
>
>Regards,
>Shantanu
>
>--
>Everyone is a genius.  It's just that
>some people are too stupid to realize it.

OK... bit more explanation. Under Nero... the 4.7 downloadable ISO appears
as "Joliet (bootable)" but an image I create using Make Release appears as
"Joliet" and once burnt I cannot boot from that CD.

I know I can easily get round this booting from the created floppy instead
but that seems kind of defeatist. I'd like to know what's going on with more
accuracy and can't find anything extra about "Make iso.1" under man or
www.freebsd.org

I'm the first to admit I could be misusing the windows burning software but
it seems to happily recognise bootable & non-bootable images appropriately.

Ta,
Phil.