Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 16:15:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash 4.2 patchlevel 28

Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> > > VARIABLE="$(uname)"
> > > bash: command substitution: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token
> > > `)'
> > > bash: command substitution: line 3: `uname)"'
> > >
> > At least that was easy.  It's patch level 12.

That's just the first patch that happens to touch parse.y.

> Hrm ... and it also appears that if I use bison + m4 I don't have this
> issue, but if I let the configure scripts use /usr/bin/yacc alone this
> problem manifests itself.  odd.

The port specifically uses bison, so I don't know why you would
force the use of yacc.  And it's a well-known issue.  If you run
parse.y through yacc, it breaks.  You must use bison.

Upstream thinks it's a bug in yacc unless proven otherwise and so
far nobody has figured out the details.