Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:24:09 +0400
From:      "Alexander Churanov" <alexanderchuranov@gmail.com>
To:        "Ivan Voras" <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

Ivan,

2008/8/24 Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>

> AFAIK this is what Linux did and I think it's the Right Way To Do It
> (based on seeing it work). Massaging UTF-8 into 8-bit text mode in
> console could be nice but is of very limited usefulness today.

My vision is that syscons should be a failsafe alternative to X or ssh. Most
boxes are either running X or managed via ssh and ssh client is running in
graphical mode. My proposal is NOT about displaying all assigned unicode
code points in character-mode. It's about switching the whole system to
UTF-8 and making syscons working correctly in new curicumstances. It seems
that other parts of FreeBSD are mostly ready. Read about my experience of
using vipw with UTF-8.

Alexander Churanov