Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:53:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 7000 Laptop Support

On Thursday, 26 November 1998 at 11:53:44 +1100, Joe Shevland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering whether the Dell Inspiron 7000 laptops are supported by
> FreeBSD? I can provide specs or more info if needed. I'll be devastated if
> not; its going to be a little hummer and I want to give its life at least a
> little freedom/usability with a FBSD partition when I get it.

They work well with the possible exception of the display, which is
probably a NeoMagic chip.  For a long time, NeoMagic refused to give
programming details for their chips, so XFree86 didn't support it.
XFree86 3.3.3 has just been released (last couple of days), and it may
have support for it.  If not, it's coming Real Soon Now, and there are
other ways to get the driver.  Check out
http://www.mnsinc.com/js/Neomagic.html for one.

Greg