Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:15:56 +0100
From:      Juraj Lutter <otis@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "uboot@freebsd.org" <uboot@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sysutils/rpi-firmware update

> On 31 Oct 2022, at 12:20, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
> On 2022-Oct-31, at 01:17, Juraj Lutter <otis@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> what should be done to update sysutils/rpi-firmware to the recent =
version?
>> I=E2=80=99ve tried to naively update the PORTVERSION but I=E2=80=99ve =
not been able to boot (I only tried one time) the RPI-4-B.
>=20
> To my knowledge, no one is actively working on support of the
> RPi* related code base in FreeBSD.
>=20

Good to know. Can I help somehow?

> It is  not clear what you are looking to make work observably
> differently by updating just the RPi* firmware to more recent
> than FreeBSD officially supports.
>=20

The problem I=E2=80=99m observing is: =
https://files.wilbury.net/s/A7jWesNiHQ7GM9e

My initial approach was to make use of DHT20 sensor that I=E2=80=99ve =
got.
It is an i2c-connected (compared to GPIO-connected DHT11/DHT22) sensor.

So one of the first things I did was to take i2c-sensor.dtbo from the
recent rpi-firmware ( There is no i2c-sensor in 20210805 version of =
firmware,
that=E2=80=99s why I took the recent version), decompiled dtbo to dts, =
added AHT10/AHT20
lines (similar to =
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/c20376da5e61323410d1ffb076db1a=
e818ccbf59),
compiled back to dtbo, only to find out that the device is not =
recognized at all.

It did not appear even in devinfo.

So i=E2=80=99ve also added fragments for DHT10 and DHT20, then the =
devices at least appeared in
devinfo output (the device is seemingly marketed as AHT20 but present =
itself as DHT20 on the bus).

Then I=E2=80=99ve written a =E2=80=9Cstub=E2=80=9D driver, just to test =
whether it will at least probe and attach (and it did!) :-)

otis

=E2=80=94
Juraj Lutter
otis@FreeBSD.org