Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2018 07:58:02 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   One last item: CNS1102 support removal

There's one last item in arm land for 12 I'd like to remove: The Econa /
Cavium CN1102 support.

It's literally received no updates since it was committed in 2010, apart
from others doing kernel sweeps. It's unmaintained. Strike one.

Second, it will be the last armv4 port in the tree after I remove Atmel. We
haven't had FreeBSD running on armv4 Atmel since FreeBSD 8. Strike two.

Third, the original machines were released in 2005 or 2006. There's only
one known board, according to https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Cavium, and it came
with only 16MB. So it's old and doesn't have much RAM. While barely
possible, in theory, to run FreeBSD/arm in 16MB, it's a huge PITA. Strike
three.

Forth, I can find no mention of it in the archives or bug database. Strike
four.

I'm lead to the conclusion that this is no longer maintained, has no users,
the hardware it was in has insufficient resources to run FreeBSD well and
these things are unlikely to change. Therefore, we should remove it.

Comments?

Warner