Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2012 09:40:27 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aware of?

On 7 Jun 2012, at 01:54, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:

>> =46rom owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Wed Jun  6 18:13:09 2012
>> Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 00:09:54 +0100
>> From: Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
>> To: Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
>> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aw=
are
>> of?
>>=20
>> On 06/06/2012 20:27, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>> Suppose I put up a web app that takes an executable as input, signs it=20=

>>> with my key, and returns the signed filt to the submitter. I don't=20
>>> divulge the key to anyone, just use it on 'anything'. Anybody=20
>>> attempting to revoke on _that_ basis is asking for a lawsuit.
>>=20
>> To me it would be perfectly reasonable to revoke the key as soon as you=20=

>> signed the first piece of malware.
>=20
> It may seem reasonable to you, but is there -legal- basis to do so?=20
>=20
> 'signing' only provides assurance of the identity of the signer. I did
> sign it.  The key has not been compromised.  The software in question=20
> is tracable to the signer, but the signer never claimed it was 'error free=
',
> what conract or statute did they breach by doing the signing? =20
>=20

Signing anything and everything defeats the purpose the key and this whole c=
harade are implemented for.

Under the contract's undoubtedly carefully penned clauses, this would allow f=
or a key revocation.

Make no mistake, they'll go over that contract for several weeks, giving the=
mselves as much manoeuvring room as possible.=