Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2015 14:42:18 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report - Second Quarter 2015

--ytoMbUMiTKPMT3hY

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 04:32:34PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 27/07/2015 16:25, Glen Barber wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This sort of sounds like the system that a former company (IAE) donated
> >> to Jordan when he was here in Arnhem at a FreeBSD meeting organized by
> >> Wilco Bulte. I think it was called freefall??
> >> There used to be pictures of the meeting online, but I can't seem to
> >> find them.
> >>
> >> Would be nice to know if that is the case, because then I'm really
> >> impressed with the life time of that system...
> >> Does anybody know if this is actually the case?
> >>
> >=20
> > Based on what I've recently learned of the machine's history, it was
> > originally freefall, then became known as 'hub'.
>=20
> You have any idea what is/was actual the hardware that was in the box?
>=20
> If I remember correctly we gave Jordan a check for like 5000 guilders.
> Which I guess would be 2500 us$ at that time. Which was not an enormous
> amount of money, so even more impressive that the system lasted 18 years =
:)
>=20

The physical hardware did not last this long, and I do not recall the
physical specs of the recently deprecated hardware, but as far as
"handling this task for 18 years", that could have been clarified a bit
more (my fault).  The system moved chassis several times, but was never
reinstalled (as far as we can tell) - it was originally a FreeBSD
2-STABLE install, and was upgraded constantly throughout its lifetime,
and finally ran 11-CURRENT before being decommissioned.

Glen

--ytoMbUMiTKPMT3hY

--ytoMbUMiTKPMT3hY--