Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:27:05 -0600
From:      rob spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stacy Olivas <olivas@digiflux.org>
Subject:   was this really necessary? [ was Re: The FreeBSD Jive Copyright ]

Stacy Olivas wrote:

> > Just for s&g, I can the COPYRIGHT file thru the jive
> > filter:
>
> Try running the GPL thru it.. It's meaning becomes all
> the more clearer. ;)  (Sorry, I was totally bored and couldn't
> sleep..)

as i look back on decisions i have made in my life,
  i sometimes find that they can only be explained
  by resorting to the phrase:

    "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

my strongly libertarian bent compels me to state that
  if you want to circulate this sort of thing --privately--
  among like-minded persons, then go ahead;
  SCOTUS-considered concepts like "inciting a panic" and
  "fighting words" notwithstanding.

however, i question the appropriateness of
  posting this type of your humor [ fsdo humor ]
  on a public forum such as -chat.

my concerns are several [ in no particular order of importance ]:

  a]  the accusation "elitist" has been discussed extensively and
        has recently appeared in another topic.
      this one is bad enough; do we want any others?

  b]  this now goes into the archives, where, imho,
        it takes on the characteristics of
        a bomb with a delayed action fuse.
      because the subject line includes "copyright",
        a person researching things like licensing, etc.,
        may find this.
      this type of person usually has a legal mindset
        [ at least, partially ].
      a fraction of this group of people are,
        what i call, "professional plaintiffs".
      they look for opportunities to be offended
        so that they can then play "lawsuit lottery".
      these people are not to be encouraged.

  c]  related to [b], a person with decision-making authority
        may decide that prudence requires the removal of this
        entire thread from the archive.
      personally, i do not know if the precedent exists,
        but it is a dangerous one to set,
        even when the original reason is considered "good",
        which it usually is.
      precedents tend to be invoked.

iirc, you are held in high regard by, at least, some on this list
  for other reasons, technical or organizational.
i don't remember exactly, i will have to research this point.

i could be wrong, but i don't think this enhances your CV.

rob spellberg