Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2017 18:12:28 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "G. Paul Ziemba" <pz-freebsd-ports@ziemba.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggested patch for bsd.ports.mk

julian@freebsd.org (Julian Elischer) writes:

>Sometime ago I proposed the following change.

>I got several "yes please" from members of the public,
>but no actionable response from members of the ports group
>So I am asking again.

>> +# EXTRA_PATCH_TREE - where to find extra 'out-of-tree' patches
>> +#                  Points to a directory hierarchy with the same
>> layout
>> +#                  as the ports tree, where local patches can be
>> found.
>> +#                  This allows a third party to keep their patches in
>> +#                  some other source control system if needed.

> [...]

Thank you for raising this question. I may have given one of the
above-mentioned "yes" responses, and am still enthusiastically in
favor of this patch.

We have been discussing it for at least the last eight years (CF the
thread started at <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?gh1l3n$22rv$1>;
on Dec 1, 2008, which references this very patch from Dmitry Marakasov).
I have used it in my (admittedly very small) network since then, first
for building ports in situ and more recently with poudriere. It's been
invaluable in helping me manage site-local changes.
--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix: