Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 21:02:54 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        RazorOnFreeBSD <yann.luppo@attglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hacked or not ?

--jy6Sn24JjFx/iggw

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 03:52:45PM +0200, RazorOnFreeBSD wrote:

> I have a 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD box apparently hacked!
> Yesterday I ran chkrootkit-0.41 and I don't like some of the outputs.=20
> Those are:
> chfn     ... INFECTED
> chsh    ... INFECTED
> date     ... INFECTED
> ls         ... INFECTED
> ps        ... INFECTED

Sheesh.  Not this *again*.  This is a false alarm: chkrootkit is
exceedingly sensitive to something about the way such programs work
under FreeBSD and has to be continually futzed so that it knows not to
complain on each successive version of FreeBSD.  Comes up in this or
other FreeBSD lists just about every week.

Relax.  You're not compromised.  You just need better tools.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way