Date:      11 Jul 2001 13:06:29 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        "Dave" <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID solution - FreeBSD 4.3

"Dave" <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net> writes:

> Looking for first hand experience with successfull implementation of
> hardware based RAID solutions for simple mirroring applications.
>
> - assuming hardware / PCI RAID card
> - hardware level so compatibility problems with FreeBSD 4.3 is of
> little or no concern
> - hot swap without disturbing FreeBSD 4.3 system
> - rebuild of mirror after hot swap
> - performance
>
> assuming SCSI solution but would consider IDE if it meets the above
> requirements

I use AMI MegaRaid controllers on my FreeBSD boxen. They work great,
are included in the GENERIC kernel, and do everything in hardware.

They are PCI SCSI controllers that plug into a hotswap chasis that
fits nicely into a 1U case. I can hotswap the drives at will.

HTH.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk