Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:57:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Dave Swager <dvswager@arc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/32757: fatal kernel trap using generic kernel for install on Alpha DS20

Dave Swager writes:

 > uname unavailable, won't boot.  DS20 with 1G RAM, (2) 9G hard drives.
 > Booting the machine using the install CD gives the following error:
 >
 > fatal kernel trap:
 >
 >      trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
 >      a0         = 0x60
 >      a1         = 0x1
 >      a2         = 0x0
 >      pc         = 0xfffffc0000521f90
 >      ra         = 0xfffffc0000541b88
 >      curproc    = 0

Unfortunately, the install kernels are stripped, so I can't see where
the crash is happening.

Can you provide a few more details, please?  Where in the boot process
does this happen?  A transcript from a serial console would be ideal.
It would also be helpful to see the results of the SRM 'show conf'
command on this machine.

You might also want to try the 4.3 boot floppies to see if there was
some sort of regression between 4.3 and 4.4.

Thanks,

Drew