Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:31:29 +0000
From:      Luis Neves <lneves@netcabo.pt>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm curious :-)

On Saturday 08 March 2003 18:40, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> It depends on how much CPU power and RAM you have, and how much your
> processes are consuming.

Currently I have a AthlonXP 1700 and ~500M of RAM.

> At moderate levels of memory usage and disk I/O, linux is indeed more
> "interactive": you get (or, at least, I get) skips in audio, frame
> drops with mplayer, etc, much more under FreeBSD (either 4.x or 5.0)
> than under Linux.
> The "jerkiness" of window movements is especially
> common under freebsd: when the system is busy, it seems to take a
> while for X to respond to mouse clicks, etc.

I don't use Linux, so I don't know. But like I said, I never experienced any
skips in audio and/or framedrops with mplayer (try to change the buffer size
in XMMS and the cache size in mplayer, and see if the helps)

> At high loads, however, linux becomes practically unusable.  (I
> haven't tried the 2.5 kernel or recent 2.4 kernels).  FreeBSD, even
> when heavily stressed, locks up for a few seconds, swaps a bit,
> possibly kills the offending process, and then proceeds as normal.
> Linux often requires a reboot.

Moshe Bar in a series of articles for Byte magazine where he stressed tested
both Linux and FreeBSD said more or less the same thing:
http://www.byte.com/servinglinux/2001/01/

But most of the issues seem to be solved:
http://www.byte.com/servinglinux/2001/11/

Unfortunately these articles are not available to general public anymore, only
to subscribers :-(

Best regards,
Luis Neves