Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:28:20 -0700
From:      Steve Babb <steve.babb@mcg-graphics.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network printing

Hello,

I have an EFI fiery rip connected to a canon laser copier and would like
to print over the network to it using my FreeBSD 2.2.6 machine.
Currently we print to it from our SGI's and it wotks fine.

its ip is 192.9.200.237 and is known as Server. I looked into my printer
settings on my sgi and it told me it was set up as Printer name - Canon
and hostname - Server.

so I set up my /etc/printcap on my FreeBSD as follows:-

canon|lp|fiery|canon Fiery 700:\
    :lp=:rm=Server:rp=Canon:sd=/var/spool/lpd/canon:

this gave me the following error:

lpr: connect: No such file or directory
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

After I got this error I checked the spool directory and the files where
present, so the spool seems ok.

I then queried the printer from my SGI and noticed the following:

the SGI queue manager says "Connected to "print_700-800" on host
"Server"

so I changed my /etc/printcap to the following :

canon|lp|fiery|canon Fiery 700:\
    :lp=:rm=Server:rp=print_700-800:sd=/var/spool/lpd/canon:

unfortunately i got the same error again.

Can anyone help me ?
Where am I going wrong?

Thanks
Steve.

Please can you reply directly by email as for some reason I am not
currently receiving email from the lists.

steve.babb@mcg-graphics.com