Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:41:53 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Valentin Bud <valentin.bud@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: man -t odd page size

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 09:23:10AM -1000, Al Plant wrote:

> Valentin Bud wrote:
> >hello,
> >what do you know about this site: http://www.metricamerica.com/.
> >i don't remember where i have read that America is going to apply the SI
> >(ess eye)
> >unit system.
> >so things are going to change maybe even the A4 papersize.
> >
> >a good day,
> #########...
>
> Aloha,
>
> The Metric System has been a legal measure in the United States since
> the 1860's.
>
> There is nothing to stop anybody legally from using it.

Isn't it about time we dump the obsolete 'metric' system based on the
paltry base-10 arithmetic and move in to the future with a digitally
compatible system based on powers of 2!    Divide the day in to 16 hours,
16 minutes per hour, 16 seconds per minute, 16 ??? per second (make up
a name), Divide the speed of light by a big power of 2 to get your base
measurement of length.  Design 6 more digit symbols.  Through away
some of the dross in plain ASCII and fit them in there.

Quit trying to force people to count on their fingers.

////jerry