Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:03:37 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum and 3.2R -> 3.3R upgrade

"Eric J. Schwertfeger" wrote:

> Upgraded a 3.2R storage server to 3.3R, and the machine didn't see the
> existing vinum slices, which was to be expected since I hadn't changed the
> slices from "unused" to "vinum".  Well, I made that change, and now the
> same machine comes up with several errors (claiming at least one of the
> slices is unavailable, so the concatination is corrupted), then a kernel
> panic.
>
> For the time being, I'm running 3.3R user space, and 3.2R kernel, which
> makes me uncomfortable.
>
> I'm preparing to back it up now, to reinitialize vinum and restore, but
> I was curious as to if anyone else had seen this and had a quicker
> solution, as I really don't want to be down for the length of time it will
> take to back up and restore 14GB of data.
>
> Yeah, I know, should have done it right in the first place :-)

I had that problem when upgrading a 3.1-STABLE machine to 3.3-STABLE.  I
don't remember the exact process anymore, but the system is working fine
and vinum doesn't list any bad volumes/plexes/subdisks. I fixed the
disklabel in single user mode (took some work because /usr and /var are
vinum volumes), rebooted, did a 'vinum makedev' (in single user mode)
and rebooted. I think after that last time, it came up OK.

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>