Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:36:29 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X Windows question

[trimmed for length]
 > > Most of the stuff you want will be in /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm. First thing you'
ll
 > > want to do is comment out the line in Xservers for :0, to turn off the loc
al
 > > X management (unless you want to keep it).
 > >

 > Nah, I only want to do graphical stuff on my workstation. This
 > machine is on a KVM and I don't need to burden it with anything that
 > I'll never use standing at the console. Much more comfy to do it
 > remote via X.

Ok. So you definately want to change the Xservers file to get rid of the
local console.

 > > At this point, you should be able to start xdm, and get management via a
 > > direct broadcast to the FreeBSD system. However, if you want to broadcast.
..

 > I've managed to get a login prompt, but the window that appears after a succ
essful login just says something like "SessionChooserWidget" or something like
that, with a button that says "Default/Failsafe" and a button that says "Cancel
". Clicking either of the buttons closes the session and dumps
 > me back to login. Clicking the "widget" line causes xsm to dump core. :)

This sounds like a default twm session. "Default" should get you running.
However....

Now what you want to do is set up a .xsession file in the user's home
directory. This should be a set of commands to run when logged in. All
commands that do not automatically go in to the background should end in
& (to background it), _EXCEPT THE LAST ONE_. When the last application (not
backgrounded) terminates, the session will close, and XDM will recycle.
Typically, the last command is your window manager. For example, one could say:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -sb &
/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2

This would start a single xterm, and then the window manager. When you close
the Window manager (fvwm, in this case), XDM will recycle.

You could also do something as simple as:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -sb

This will give you a single terminal on the default grey patterned background,
similar to a default twm session. There will be no menus, knobs, etc, due
to a lack of window manager. You can run one, if you like, from inside the
terminal. However, once you exit the shell in the Xterm, XDM will recycle.

	-brian