Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 18:53:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Daniel Haischt <danielh@privat.toplink.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling apache1.3.6

Daniel Haischt writes:
> HIYA
>
> I try to bulid apache1.3.6 from a source distribution using gmake3.77
> and gcc228 including the following modules:
[...]
> Maybe there is someone who knows how to compile apache
> without any errors (what did I wrong?)

The authors and maintainers of the FreeBSD Apache port(s_ know how. And
have gone to some effort to make it easy for you too.

Simply move your source distributions into /usr/ports/distfiles, then
"cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-php3/" and type "make". You will be prompted
for all those options you were looking for. When its finished you will
have a patched and compiled version of apache in ./work/ If you think it
did what you wanted, "make install" to finish the job.

Once installed if you change your mind, "pkg_delete apache-1.3.6" (or
whichever apache you installed) will undo it. /var/db/pkg/ lists the
installed packages.

Rather than type "make" above, you could type "make patch" and inspect
its work before resuming with "make". Maybe make some additional changes
before compiling.

Before leaving the apache-php3 port directory its nice to type "make
clean" to free up the scratch space used in building the port.