Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:17:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        adrian@ubergeeks.com
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?)

> 	Nooooo....  If we must have start/stop scripts, we don't need run
> levels.  I believe run-levels encourage a lesser form of "reboot whenever
> there is a problem".

Actually, they encourage a lesser form of "reboot when a reboot is
necessary".  8-).

> 	This lack of fine control is my biggest grip with standard sysv
> start/stop scripts.  If we had individual start/stop scripts for
> everything and then perhaps "grouped" start/stop scripts for say all of
> the NFS server daemons, it would help and be better than just bringing
> over the model lock, stock and barrel.

See Elvind's code...

> 	I still don't understand why this has become an issue again.

Because the rc.d scripts are part of the IBCS2 standard run
environment, and required for the IBCS2 compliance of the emulation.

And Linux compliance of the Linux emulation.

And Solaris compliance of the Solaris Emulation.

Etc.

> What more does a third party software vendor need?

The freedom to avoid having to press FreeBSD specific CDROM bits
onto pieces of plastic.  Compliance with documented standards (no,
BSD rc files don't count as "standard").

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.