Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:40:34 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        FAQ@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with question 8.20 (Eek! I forgot the root password!)

Greetings FreeBSD team,

The answer for question 8.20, "Eek! I forgot the root password,"
fails to work because passwd lives on /usr which may not be mounted.
/usr may be mounted if dropping into single user mode from multiuser
mode, but most people who forget the root password realize so only
after a power cycle.

The following sequence of commands works for me.
   # /sbin/mount -a
   # /usr/bin/passwd root
   # exit

Note also that the full pathname of the commands may be required
since login classes are not available and many people do not
explicitly put PATH in their shell profiles.  (Well, /usr/bin
isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt.)

Hope this helps,
Aaron Luz