Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:53:26 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Tuning a system...

All,

Ever since updating to 4.x (just after 4.1 went to -STABLE), I've
experienced problems with several of my systems running out of file
descriptors.

For example, on my mail server (4.2-STABLE 2/27/01):

kern.maxfiles: 8092
kern.maxfilesperproc: 2088
kern.openfiles: 332

This is normal, the machine has been up for 55 days with 0 problems.
However, three times since installing this machine (4.1-R, 2 updates since),
it's ran out of file descriptors, yet I could not find any processes to
account for this behavior.

So... my question is, how can I tune my FreeBSD 4-STABLE boxes to run a
little more stable? I intend to update soon, I've just been putting it off
in favor of running my business.

FYI, I don't consider myself an amature admin... my previous employer has 2
3.2-STABLE boxes that have been running for 2+ years without issue (one is a
mail server w/5000+ accounts, the other is a web server serving with an
entire class-c bound to it, serving >280k hits per day).

Any help or suggestions is appreciated,

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks