Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:43:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        bright@mu.org, <odela01@ca.com>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: resolv and dynamic linking to compat libc

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> Last night, I saw an attempted attackl that may have been an attempt to
> subvert a build of Apache 2.0.39 built with the buggy libc. Apache had spawned
> dozens of child processes, which all hung (they were trying to double-free
> memory) and the server was completely locked up. As far as I can tell, the
> intruder didn't make it in but did manage to mess up Apache's unprivileged
> child processes -- a first step.

My version of apache from ports seems to dynamically link libc.so.4, not
statically, which would indicate to me that it would pick up a rebuild
patched libc, and wouldn't need to be rebuilt itself.

bash-2.05a# ldd /usr/local/sbin/httpd
/usr/local/sbin/httpd:
        libcrypt.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x280a9000)
        libmm.so.11 => /usr/local/lib/libmm.so.11 (0x280c2000)
        libc.so.4 => /usr/lib/libc.so.4 (0x280c6000)
bash-2.05a#

Anyone care to confirm/deny that?  I scanned for statically linked
binaries in /usr/local/bin, and only found a couple (mostly shells), so I
rebuilt those.

--Wade

--
'I say to you that the VCR is to the American film producer and the American
public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone.'

'It's getting clear -- alarmingly clear, I might add -- that we are in the
midst of the possibility of Armageddon.'
      Jack Valenti on the Internet, 2002

http://www.digitalconsumer.org/
http://digitalspeech.org/