Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 10:15:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD/VINUM questions.

On Friday,  7 May 1999 at 16:30:34 -0400, Jason J. Horton wrote:
> I am interested in setting up disk mirroring via ccd or Vinum,
> mostlikely Vinum. My question is, how does failover work.
> Say if a drive dies, does the other automatically take over?

In Vinum, yes.  With ccd, you need to reconfigure the ccd and
restart.  I haven't found a way to do this without rebooting, but to
be fair I haven't tried too hard.

> Depending on which drive dies, that could cause boot problems,
> correct?

Not really: currently neither of them will work on the root file
system.  I'm planning to do it with Vinum, and when I do, it won't
create boot problems (well, you're going to have to find out where a
usable boot partition is, but that's all).

> Would I have to use some magic to get the mirrored drive working as
> the primary, or should I just need to make it the boot device?

When I'm done, you'll just have to make it the boot device.

Greg