Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:55:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FW: RE: DPT raid rebuild

This may be of interwst to others.  Good to put in the FAQ too.

Simon

-----FW: RE: DPT raid rebuild-----

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:15:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To: Ray Bellis <rpb@community.net.uk>
Subject: RE: DPT raid rebuild

Ray, would you kindly agree to forward your message and my reply to
freebsd-scsi?  It is of general interest.

On 24-Jun-98 Ray Bellis wrote:
> Hi Simon, we're half way through building a set of 6 servers using DPT
> SmartRAID IV controllers, and a few things have come up that we hope you
> might be able to advise on.  Each of our systems has four disks,
> configured
> as a three disk RAID5 and a hot spare.
>
> We're not using DPT (or DEC) caddies and therefore get no notification
> when
> a disk is replaced.  The system does manage to swap onto the hot spare OK
> when a disk is pulled but it doesn't manage to create a new hot spare
> when a
> replacement disk is inserted.

Yup.  It has no way of knowing that the disk was inserted.
Actually, it does not know the disk was removed.  It simply tries to access
it and fails, thus marking it DEAD and going after the hot spare.

> The system is also incapable of rebuilding a 3 disk RAID5 (without hot
> swap)
> when a new disk is inserted.  Shouldn't it should be possible to send an
> EATA command to tell the DPT to start rebuilding in these circumstances?

Yes, but my understanding of the situation is that these are proprietary
commands and only available throu dptmgr, which is only distributed in
binary form.

> Do you have any information about how soon the DPTMGR application will be
> available for FreeBSD?

I have started working on that, but got pulled away by the need to port the
DPT driver to CAM.  This has taken massive amounts of my time.  I will look
into adding the array rebuild option into the current driver.

Simon

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313