Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2022 01:26:03 +0100
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
Cc:        arrowd@freebsd.org, Ronald Klop <ronald@freebsd.org>, ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_The_installation_of_=E2=80=9CStable_Diffusion_web_UI?= =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9D_natively_on_FreeBSD_fails_because_can=E2=80=99t_install_torch_?= =?UTF-8?Q?and_torchvision?=
References:  <CA%2B1FSihJdXHeHL1pUD3SB6vujhG0M1-9wAqeFwjCS8r4syu7mQ@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSijaF-W8PJo9GtK0S-4BFtSBhD6FjbPu-ZJLBwQ%2Bcymoew@mail.gmail.com> <CAFYkXjn2deM--tyU9Mpi-%2BiM0ALyePhEDGt9LRY0QW8gJ-3Smg@mail.gmail.com> <CAFYkXjmzrLr2x-DKx%2BY88191fOVQ0EL6rtHiSGP4QMV4VRe=sA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFYkXjm1NayM7EMps8GiqdY5a_qCf=oFcXw9GwVOGJ6rvcG=og@mail.gmail.com> <9f14955d-1072-332e-adc7-26f6fbb80b03@FreeBSD.org> <CAFYkXj=bxE1q6zWxqs8zPjXx78KzOuiYFb1OE-_TREedwcpEyQ@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSih6zNUZiRMz9NCiSGDtm_2C%2B4JmP80HiPLac9ZVF1LKqA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFYkXj=RhX3Oor4Nss_%2BmxyRoNcrVvfDhBNQw5J1O778rLideA@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSih6pfjX1HoisgMV9w1j8x%2Bb7HScR7_eiHnMnYDM31zg5Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAFYkXjk1mH5Ji29EXz7-pDOkpigrJ4vChwV5FPKfw7z3LcWjbQ@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSijRLp48bijme0w30YB0fRjpuinzpBcjRpRMZH-hU%2B3q1w@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B1FSijkD8XwiH=oDs3v5LmZjuNN_HKa8u88-0d1gmN-pwDRYA@mail.gmail.com>

Long story short: PyTorch does not work on FreeBSD at this point, use
Linux version, or any other OS where binary packages are provided.

Short story long: below :-)

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 6:48 PM Mario Marietto wrote:
> Tomek,can you repeat the steps you did when you tried to install pytorch,=
but this time using torch as Gleb Popov suggested ? very thanks.

Already did, please take a look at previous answers :-)

When you try to install pytorch you will get an error you should use
torch name instead.. but there are no packages provided from FreeBSD..
and it does not build from the sources.. more work is necessary to
update the pytorch in order to build and run on FreeBSD.. looks like
weeks of work.. and this should be done by someone already familiar
with that tool to verify its operations even if it builds.. also note
that it has some hard dependencies on hardware acceleration that may
not yet be available here.

I would strongly use platform that is officially supported by the project.

Get the correct tool for the task :-)

> Il giorno lun 21 nov 2022 alle ore 17:46 Mario Marietto ha scritto:
>>
>> Oh no,man,I don't think I'm. My job is totally different than yours. I'm=
 a psychologist. My training has been totally different. In your opinion, c=
an I make a job totally different from yours ? If it was true,so,ok,you can=
 analyze the people's mindset without a problem. You can get two jobs,you c=
an earn two incomes. Why don't you make it ? I like to play with linux-free=
bsd as a hobby. I can learn what I don't know ? Sure,for those tasks that a=
re of low-medium difficulties only. So,I should even hire someone,spending =
money. You didn't understand my position. I don't earn enough money even to=
 live day by day. In your opinion,can I spend money on that ? In addition,I=
t works under Windows and Linux. So,this is another reason to not spend mon=
ey on it.

Most of us are in this position :-)

Most of us have one or two or three projects / jobs to make a living
and then some spare time to develop Open-Source that we need on our
own and then we share the results "for free". Imagine how many new
things we have to learn and how many problems we encounter / overcome
in that process.

There is no "magic company" that takes infinite amount of money from
thin air to create working solutions based on people demands for
free.. even governments that fund "public research" are taxing their
own citizens.. commercial companies only develop Open-Source when they
have valid business model and funding for it.

If you do not want to put your time and effort to do the job on your
own, also you state there is no reason to do the job for you, then who
do you expect to do the job?

Really few lucky people are "paid good full-time salary for a
development on demand" where results are shared back to the public.
Even if, the work must be useful for a company that invest their money
and time to hire folks to develop new features, port software, etc.

Development of the Open-Source is not free. You can use it for free.
But there may be years of expensive work and thousands of brainz
behind. Please understand and respect that that you are given a
solution for free, but creating that solution is always quite
expensive in the first place.

Someone had to create the PyTorch, hire people to make it happen, then
the results are shared "for free". This tool was developed on Linux,
macOS and Windows, because there are packages provided. Making it work
on FreeBSD requires work that needs to be done. You cannot expect
anyone to do the job for you unless you care it enough to make it
happen yourself.. or find the funding to do the work for you. Maybe
the company that created PyTorch will be interested in porting to a
new unsupported platform but that is highly unlikely.

Most of us would like to "just focus" on what we need, but hey we all
need to pay the bills, thus we are all in the same position of making
choices where to invest our time for skills development and what might
be the results :-)

> And again : I don't work in any company,I'm not motivated enough even for=
 "intellectual" reasons.

Get the right tool for the task. Just use the supported OS and the
problem is be solved :-)

Most of us are simply driven by a curiosity, on how / why things work,
how to make things work, how to create new things, and we share what
we do with the rest of the world.. the reason we do not know something
is quite enough challenging motivation to get the required skills..
but hey there are only 24 hours in a single day :-)

> Try to forget me for a while and try to reply to my question : who has mo=
re responsibility in this kind of situation where there is something to do =
to fill the gap between the pytorch and the freebsd developers ? thanks.

With the non-technical explanations above I am sure you will now
understand that  "you are responsible to make things that you care
about work" :-)

Switch to supported OS to get things working out of the box :-)

--=20