Date:      11 Aug 1999 18:23:24 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk label recovery - request for suggestions.

Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net> writes:
> Ahha - of course.  Ok, let me re-phrase the question then.  By looking
> at the contents of the superblocks on a UFS file system it's possible to
> reconstruct a disklabel for a slice.

Well, it's possible to reconstruct the label information for *that
particular UFS file system*, since if you know the location of the
superblock (or one of its backup copies), you can determine the offset
and size of the FS. It won't tell you anything about *other*
partitions though.

>                                       Is this trick possible with other
> kinds of file systems too?

That's totally dependent on the particular file system. For instance,
a swap partition contains no metadata (that I know of), so all you can
do is deduce it's size and position from the sizes and positions of
surrounding partitions, and of the slice they're in.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no